If I am being honest, I really don’t need a special reason to drink margaritas. It is my favorite cocktail and you will see me share a version almost every weekend on the ‘gram. I spend many days dreaming of summers in India, when the most important task of the day was eating an Alphonso mango. There is a reason people are crazy about this particular kind, well IT. IS. THE. BEST. There is no debating this fact and if you’ve ever eaten one, you will agree with me.
A few years ago they were hard to come by in America because of some agricultural laws that forbid the import of this fruit from heaven. But things have changed and I was told by a reader that we are in fact able to order them online. I guess I’ve been living under a rock!
Anyway, I used the next best thing, Alphonso mango pulp. I live near an ethic grocery store and luckily they are well stocked so I was able to get my hands on a jar. We are in times of covid-19 so I am keep my ordering to essential items only and so should you. I suggest you use regular mangoes for now and order the pulp or fruit online when this is over? Until then I keep myself entertained and have a cocktail during at home happy hours with friends. On one these occasions I happened to combine two of my favorite things, made a margarita, and I am so glad I did because it is damn delicious!
Lastly, if this is not your jam try this Passion Fruit cocktail instead.
Mango Chilli Margarita
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce Alphonso mango puree or regular mango puree
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce triple sec
- 1 green chilli spilt in half, optional
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Tajin spice mix for garnish
- Rub lime wedge around rim of cocktial glass. Spread Tajín on a plate and rub rim in seasoning.
- Close the shaker and shake vigorously until well chilled, 2 minutes. Double strain the cocktail into a cocktail glass filled with ice. Garnish with green chili and serve immediately