This Turmeric cocktail is inspired by my spice box. I love using Indian inspired ingredients to make delicious cocktails. Turmeric being the most used in my repertoire I thought it would be the perfect spice to experiment with. Initially I tested this with gin but the intense herbaceous notes overpowered the turmeric flavors so I decided against it. Vodka on the other hand perfectly complimented the earthy almost bitter flavor of turmeric. Combined with lime juice and sweet maple syrup the result was an incredibly smooth and refreshing drink that was easy to sip on.
I have used rosemary to garnish but thyme, mint and even cilantro to garnish this turmeric cocktail. Honey or simple syrup if you’ve run out of maple! The elderflower tonic water adds a floral sweet element to the drink which brings everything to get just right.
This turmeric cocktail tastes great as a mocktail too, just leave out the vodka and enjoy as is.
- 1.5 ounces vodka leave out for non alcoholic version
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce maple syrup use honey or simple syrup as substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Fever tree elderflower tonic water to top
- Rosemary or choice of herbs for garnish
- Fill serving glasses with ice and set aside.
- To a cocktail shaker, add 4-5 cubes of ice, vodka, lime juice, maple syrup and turmeric.
- Close and shake vigorously for 2 minutes. Pour into cocktail glass, top with tonic water, garnish with herbs and serve immediately.