Don’t mistake me for a millennial that is obsessed with Kale. I mean I like kale, but sometimes I get lazy and don’t want to put in the extra muscle of massaging and chopping it. That is why I have this easy peasy Kale pesto recipe that you can enjoy with pasta or as a dip. I was in a fridge clean out and used some leftover pesto on a white pizza and it tasted crazy good! I made it vegan but you can switch out nutritional yeast for good old parmesan and it will be just as delicious. I do want to add that the nutritional yeast adds a bit of that funkiness you get from cheese.
VEGAN KALE PESTO WITH PASTA
- 2 1/2 c Kale leaves (packed & stems removes)
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast OR grated parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small lime (juiced)
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 150 g of choice of pasta (i used linguini)
- 1 zucchini shaved
- 1/2 c frozen peas
- 1/2 c frozen shelled edamame
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. It should taste like salty sea water. Once boiling, add the broccolini, peas, and fiddlehead ferns. Cook for 1 min, barely. Shock them in a bowl of ice water to stop them from cooking further.
- In the same water, cook pasta al dente
- Juice the whole lime, and set aside.
- To make the pesto. Place the kale leaves, walnuts, garlic, lime and juice, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast/parmesan in a food processor. Blend into a paste.
- With the processor on, slowly drizzle in the olive oil, scraping down the sides as you go, until you have a thick consistency. Taste for salt and acidity, adding more salt and lime juice if needed.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the pesto while the pasta is still hot. Add in the cooked vegetables and toss again.
- If you have leftover pesto, store it in a glass jar with a thin layer of olive oil on top, the pesto should stay good for up to 1-2 weeks.
- To reheat leftover pasta, heat olive oil in a pan and add sliced garlic and saute for 2 mins. Sprinkle a pinch of chilli flakes and add the pasta and 1/4 cup of water. Cook covered for 2 mins and serve hot.