This bright and luscious Purple Potato and Cauliflower soup just the thing you need on a cold winter evening. The weather has been pretty brutal in New York the past couple of days, so I thought of making something vibrant and comforting to beat this gloominess. Luckily, I picked some purple potatoes from Union Square farmers markets a few days ago. I am a huge fan of soup, I usually go for more Asian inspired ones like ramen, pho, hand-pulled noodle soup, wonton soup and such. I put these gorgeous purple potatoes to use. While testing the recipe I decided to keep it simple with cauliflower, onion and garlic. the result was a delicate and flavorful bowl of goodness.
I also added this to my Instagram feed as a part of my purple week and it was a huge hit among fellow bloggers and food enthusiasts alike. I garnished it with purple radishes because they are just so gorgeous in colour and added a little crunch, texture and kick to the Purple Potato and Cauliflower soup.
PURPLE POTATO AND CAULIFLOWER SOUP
- 750 g purple potato
- 250 g cauliflower
- 115 g onion (chopped medium)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp oil
- 580ml chicken stock/veg stock/ water
- Peel and cut potatoes into a large dice set aside, cut the cauliflower florets to a similar size.
- Heat oil in a pan add the onion and garlic, sweat them till they look translucent and are soft.
- Add cumin, saute for 30 secs and then add the stock along with potatoes. Cook for 10 mins, then add cauliflower and cook till soft
- Set aside and cool for 20 mins, then blend everything together till smooth. Now add salt to taste.